Monday, September 6, 2010

Me oh my, the life of a single mom

Needless to say, Adam has a crappy schedule. He really always has, that being one of the big reasons he has gone back to school to start a new profession. We have participated in as much as we could together this summer, but there have been several events we have either missed out on or Harper and I have attended stag. This leading to the running joke that I am a single mom.

Last week, Harper and I, along with my parents and brother, trucked on down to Emerald Isle to stay with my Aunt & Uncle and cousins for a couple days. They rent a place every year and the family, who live all over the country now, all meet for a week at the beach. It's a great family tradition that we are always thrilled to be invited to.

Three years ago, Adam and I did go to the beach together. It was the summer after our wedding. Since then, because of ridiculous work schedules, I have been forced to hitch a ride with my parents and enjoy my extended family partnerless. My aunt, at this point, is convinced I've done away with him and buried him in the backyard (upcoming post with pictures to prove that is not the case). Here's hoping that sometime in the years to come Adam can make an appearance at my families beach sabbatical.



Harper playing with her cousin Forest. These 2 had a great time together and shared a love for literature. Nothing like getting lost in a good book at the beach.



Here's Harper playing with her cousins Cameron and Jada. Cameron's toys were a big hit after hearing "no no, don't touch that" for 2 days.



Harper and her cousin Juris had big fun in the sand. There was a lot of work to be done, but having a partner makes it all seem like a day at the beach.




It's nice to just look into the waves of the ocean and reflect on life and what it all means.



That is until...HOLY CRAP... a rogue wave threatens your very existence.


This house was ideal for our family, as we tend to be more pool/lake goers than beach bums. It had a gorgeous pool on the back deck over looking the ocean. We admittedly spent a good percentage of our time lapping it up in the pool. Harper has become a real daredevil in the water. She got so comfortable jumping off the side, if I wasn't watching, she would just go...with or without a catcher.


2 comments:

Bridger Field said...

It was fun having you and Harper there. Harper is adorable and I think a big inspiration to Forest at the pool, by the end of our vacation he was swimming with just his floaties. I'm already looking forward to next year, with a slight hope that Adam might make it, you could always come Friday night and hang out all day Saturday!

Em said...

I've told you before. I am your life partner. Even the people at Kinkos know this... Next summer we will come out to the family =) LOL!!!!!