Thursday, October 6, 2011

To the Butte and Beyond

This post is a long time coming. I have gotten really bad about keeping up with my posts. I'm not a writer. I was always the student that would write 503 words for the report that had to be at least 500. I love posting all the pictures and I love TELLING the story, but I HATE writing!! Maybe I should just become a video blogger? That way I can just sit here and tell you all about it without having to touch the keyboard. Ugg, but then I would need to do my hair, and make up just to sit in my living room. Forget that!!

All 3 1/2 of us headed out to Colorado back in August for a much need "escape from reality". What better place than the insanely beautiful Crested Butte. Now, it does require 3/4 of a day and planes, trains and automobiles to get there, but well, well worth it. Not to mention, staying with Adam's dad and stepmom is always like being at a 5 star resort equipped with fun excursions.
One of the main reasons we went out there that particular week was for Adam to participate in the Crested Butte Open golf tournament. He hasn't played in this for years so it was really awesome for him to be back playing with his dad. During this week/end the entire town participates in the fun. They have art festivals, crafts, and an auction you really need to be a part of to fully understand.
The week was beyond fun, and despite a couple of swollen ankles from the altitude, we would have stayed forever.




Here she is, the adorable little town of Crested Butte. It's just about the cutest little place you've ever seen. And doesn't the down town look like the set of a movie from the old west?



The down town, though quaint, has everything you could ever desire as far as food. We ate everywhere from a little hole in the wall mexican joint (awesome by the way) to an upscale sushi bar which has become a staple for our trips out. They also have a toy store, a baby boutique, and plenty of trendy shopping for the ladies. Oh, and ice cream!!




After the tournament we all got dolled up and headed out to the "barn" for the big auction. This barn is personally owned and always offered up for the charity event. It's by far the most spectacular barn I have ever seen and held literally millions of dollars in horses. Little did I know the millions of dollars it also held in people. There were items available as part of a silent auction you bid on at the beginning, and then the dinner, before the real auction began. They were auctioning off trips, dinners, and jewelry all going for upwards of $10,000. I didn't think my mouth could drop anymore, until they got to the end, where people just gave with no prize to be had. $50,000 was thrown out there as the first bid, followed by my "are you freaking kidding me" laugh. Two seconds later 5 peoples hands went up!! That was the fastest $250,000 I've ever been a part of. The fact is, it was all donated for an awesome cause (The Adaptive Sports Center) and goes to show the selflessness and unity of this special place.



Adam's Uncle Mark was also out there for the event. He's tremendously fun guy and Adam and I were so happy to get to spend some time with him that wasn't at a wedding reception.



Even the centerpieces were cute!



The rest of our trip was spent, visiting the horses, picnicing, and enjoying the beautiful 75 degree days.








1 comment:

Em said...

YAY!!! A blog update! Love these pics and such a lovely location =) I know Don & Missy must never want you all to leave once they get you there!!! (ps they can't have you)